Thursday, March 12, 2015

Whose Parlor Is This, Anyway?

Well, today I did something I never dreamed in a million years that I ever would or could do. I ordered Caroline's Parlor from American Girl. Yes, that 3-walled monstrosity that debuted in 2012 and shocked the collecting community with an unprecedented $300 price tag. I, like many, looked at it wistfully and then tried to forget it. There was no way I would ever drop that much money on a single doll accessory, EVER.
Today, lo and behold, it was put on sale for $135...and I thought about it. I thought about it a lot. Suddenly, it cost less than the original price of Caroline's Table and Chairs, which I added to my collection gleefully last Christmas. Suddenly, it didn't have to just be a fantasy anymore!
So now, I am having fun thinking of all the scenarios it can be used in. It has a sort of timelessness that can fit into a lot of different historical time periods, which is perfect for my collection. It can be:

-Felicity's parlor, late 1700s
-Cecile's parlor, 1850s
-Scarlett's parlor, 1850s
-Lydia Grace's home in Cape Cod, mid-1800s
-Victoria and Charlotte's parlor at Mycroft Manor
-Generic Victorian/Edwardian parlor for scenes with Samantha or Rebecca
-a perfect backdrop for some of my non-AG dolls, including a palace parlor for Anna and Elsa. I can just see Ariel or Belle or Anna sitting on that window seat and daydreaming!

and so on. Probably the only one who won't be using it, ironically, is Caroline herself. She has completely shed her canon self and become Kirsten's best friend Marta living on the Minnesota prairie. (Josefina and Francisca were delighted to inherit all of her Regency-period dresses!) But one thing's for sure, the parlor is destined to be very popular here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but if you can't be nice or respectful, I reserve the right to have a problem with you.